The director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday he's encouraged by a $5.4 billion spending plan proposed by Congress to fight Ebola.
Although, CDC Director Tom Frieden said it's unclear if "the world's first epidemic of Ebola" can be put "back in the box."
The spending plan put forward by top lawmakers this week is part of ongoing Congressional budget negotiations.
Frieden said the funding is necessary to establish early warning systems that identify disease outbreaks, create medical laboratories, train health workers and support emergency command centers in at-risk countries.
"It includes substantial resources to make Americans safer," Frieden said.
The spending proposal is just short of the $6.2 billion that President Barack Obama requested for Ebola-related efforts.
Under the proposal, $2.5 billion would be earmarked to help African countries combat the outbreak.
Another $2.7 billion would go the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, including $1.2 billion for the CDC's efforts in West Africa.
More than 6,000 people have died during the epidemic in West Africa over the last year.
Frieden spoke at a luncheon at the Atlanta Press Club.
You can license this story through AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/976e522176d1185e2e97495618d94c8b
Find out more about AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/HowWeWork